In accordance with Japanese law imported into the country goods and personal items belonging to foreign natural and legal persons must pass customs inspection. Foreign citizens undergo customs control in a simplified manner.
Provided by the system of so-called "Green" and "red" corridors.
On the "green" corridor pass passengers without luggage or having things be skipped without customs duties. "Red" corridor are passengers in the baggage which contain objects, subject to declaration, or goods whose import to Japan restricted or prohibited .
About acting in Japan customs regulations for details see the site of the Japanese Customs (in English) and the Japanese Customs website (in Russian in format .pdf)
1. Alcohol and cigarettes:Customs regulations provide for quantitative restrictions in the country duty-free alcoholic beverages, tobacco products. Allowed to bring three bottles of alcohol (no more than 760 ml each), up to 200 cigarettes, 100 cigars or 500 grams of other types of tobacco.
Regulations of import alcohol and tobacco products apply to persons who have attained the age of majority (by Japanese law - 20 years).
2. Jeweler ornaments and jewelry.
The same rules apply to jewelry and valuables (see para. "Personal effects")
3. Weapons and ammunition:
Prohibits the importation of:
- weapons and firearms, parts and components to it;
- ammunition and explosives (dynamite, gunpowder, etc.), raw materials for the production of explosives.
On departure from Japan permitted the passage of the national currency at a rate of no more than 1 million. Yen. For export of larger amounts must obtain permission from the Ministry of Finance. The corresponding procedure can be carried out at the airport of departure. Restrictions on the export of foreign currency, tourist checks and credit cards are not available.
5. Cars and other property
For personal use at the time of long-term stay in Japan (over one year) duty free import is allowed to cars, boats and other vehicles, as well as furniture and other household goods, provided that the customs authorities will be provided with the documents confirming ownership of these items before entering the Japan, more than one year.
At exportation from Japan goods purchased within the country, with exemption from the consumer tax on customs must pass "Confirmation of export of goods" received by the buyer at the store when making a purchase.
Customs officers may require to show a duty-free goods purchased
6. Medicinal products.
Restricted the importation of medications intended for personal consumption. In particular, it is allowed to import medicines for internal consumption based on 2 months and not more than 24 packages for outdoor applications.
Medicinal products imported to Japan over the allowed amount, subject to confiscation.
7. Food commodities
There are restrictions on the import of food rice (to a maximum of 100 kg per person per year). Duty-free import of caviar limited to 200 g per person.
8. Personal belongings.
From payment of customs duties exempted the subjects imported foreign citizen exclusively for personal use and in the amounts set by the government, taking into account the length of stay of a foreigner in Japan, as well as kind of his occupation.
Other products of foreign manufacture imported into the country in the event that their total value does not exceed 200 thousand. Yen per person.
9. Prohibited import in Japan.
- Chemical and biological materials that can be used for weapons of mass destruction;
- all kinds of drugs and psychotropic substances, as well as means for their production and use;
- forged securities and bank notes;
- books, magazines, drawings and engravings with immoral content, child pornography;
- publications, disturbing public order (calling for violence, mass protests and subvert state power and so on.); - objects prejudicial to intellectual property (trademark, author and patent Rights) and counterfeit trademark goods.
- Prohibited import these seeds and plants:
- Some species of potato tubers;
- rice seedlings, rice straw, including straw of rice products (mattings, bags, mats, etc.);
- fruits of some fruits (apricots, cherries, cherry, plum, peach, pear, quince, walnut);
- straw and leaves of a plant Hordeum, Triticum and Secale (including straw as packaging materials and similar products from it), as well as straw and leaves of a plant kind wheatgrass.
Completely banned the import to Japan from America and Europe, fresh animal meat and semi-finished products from it, as well as the types of perishable meat products, which has no international standard certificates («Animal Health Certificate»).
For more detailed information on this subject can be found in English on the website Animal Quarantine Service.